On a recent Called to Coach, we spoke with Gallup-Certified Strengths Coach, Satyendra Kumar.
Saty is a retired Indian army officer who began working as a part-time faculty member at Christ University, Bangalore and running his own strengths coaching company after he retired. He read the book Strengths-Based Leadership, discovered his CliftonStrengths, and realized he’s been using his strengths throughout his childhood and whole life, but didn’t have words for it. He went through Gallup’s strengths coaching certification course and started coaching his university students and other professors around strengths.
Here are the notes from the webcast:
What are some of your coaching innovations?
Saty has developed 4 modules:
- Individualized coaching; one-on-one or in a group
- Team coaching – use Smart City background; team comes together based on their strengths
- Leadership coaching – how do you achieve the 4 needs
- Personality development – highlight goal setting and goal actualization; set, plan and achieve SMART goals; emotional intelligence
Other innovative tools that are under development:
- “10 sentences that will describe you best” - given to individuals, useful in interviews
- Career planning guide – given to students
- Small pouch that contains highlighter, pen, Gallup photos (spiral bound), theme insight cards, theme dynamics cards, value cards, and a ruler
- Small laminated card with Top 5 on one side, values on the other; can fit in pocket
- Also cover Communications – students get a poster showing how can you deliver your strengths using your 5 senses
- EQ diagram
What’s next for Saty?
- Saty is expanding his business to other universities to run programs that start students with strengths at the beginning of their studies.
- He also plans to focus on millennials and strengths-based project management
How do you see your personal coaching scaling?
Currently, Saty has a team of four people. He is the only certified coach; he plans to develop more coaches that will coach with his methodology and tools.
Don't miss out on early bird pricing! Register now for the 2017 CliftonStrengths Summit.
Visit Gallup Strengths Center to browse our myriad of products and learning opportunities for strengths-based development.
Saty is the Founder and CEO of SATYSSPARKS, a strengths coaching company. He also works as a faculty member at Christ University, Bangalore and volunteers on the faculty at UNNATI in Bangalore. Saty is a retired Indian Army Officer of the Infantry Branch. He worked with the Indian Army for 33 years, then joined the United Nations and worked for 10 years in the Middle East: Iraq, Syria, Israel, Iran, Kuwait, and Jordan. He retired from the UN in 2015, then commenced his strengths journey. Saty has experience in instructing, coaching, and leading, both with the Indian Army and the UN.
Saty's experience covers leading troops in combat, commando instructor, Directing Staff (Instructor) at the prestigious Defence Services Staff College, Commandant of a Gorkha Training Centre, UN Peace Keeper in Iran and as a Logistician in Iraq, Chad, Syria and Kuwait. He has lots of experience working in the international environment with colleagues from over 75 nationalities and different cultural background.
Gallup-certified Strengths Coaches, Cheryl Pace and Heather Riddick, contributed to this post.